At Ponderosa Veterinary Clinic, we’re passionate about providing exceptional, compassionate care to the pets of Colorado Springs. Whether your pet needs an emergency veterinary visit or you’d like to learn more about pet dental care, our team is here to help you and your pets in any way we can! As a family-owned-and-operated veterinary clinic, we’ve always been eager to share any knowledge that can help improve the lives of pets and their owners, including unique ways to celebrate National Dog Day.
One of the best parts about working with the pets of Colorado Springs is getting to know all of their individual personalities, and caring for them as if they were our own. We know how important your furry family members are to you, so we’ve compiled a list of ways to celebrate your pup on National Dog Day.
Celebrating National Dog Day
National Dog Day was created by avid dog lover Colleen Paige in 2004, in an effort to help increase the number of dogs that are adopted from shelters and rescue centers. National Dog Day is the perfect day to spoil your fur baby or finally rescue that dog you’ve always wanted! Some exciting ways to celebrate National Dog Day include:
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter.
- If you’ve been thinking about adopting a dog for awhile, National Dog Day is the perfect time to finally make the decision. There’s nothing as rewarding as rescuing a dog from a shelter and giving them their fur-ever home.
- Take your dog on a shopping spree.
- Young puppies and adult dogs love to be spoiled with new toys. Take your fur baby to a pet store and let them sniff around and pick out some toys and treats. Not only will they have a blast getting to go to the pet store and sniff around, but you’ll also have fun playing with them and their new toys back at home!
- Teach your dog a new trick.
- Have you ever heard the saying, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks?” Well, that’s actually not true. Not only can senior dogs learn a new trick, but it’s also extremely beneficial to stimulate your pup’s brain. Teaching your dog a new trick can even help prevent dementia.
- Donate to your local animal shelter.
- If you don’t have a dog but still want to be a part of National Dog Day, donating to an animal shelter is a great way to participate! You can either make a donation, or donate your time and become a volunteer. Animal shelters rely heavily on volunteers and donations, and any animal shelter would be grateful to receive your help.
- Schedule a dog photo shoot.
- If you really want to go all out for National Dog Day, hire a professional pet photographer to capture stunning images of your dog! Whether you use the images to make a calendar or post them on social media, both you and your pup will have a blast having a professional dog photo shoot.
- Walk an elderly neighbor’s dog.
- This is a great way to get in the National Dog Day spirit for both pet owners and non pet owners. Not only will you be helping a neighborhood dog get some exercise and enjoy the fresh air, but you’ll also be helping your neighbor by taking their dog for a walk so they don’t have to worry about it.
- Host a dog party.
- Invite all your friends and their pups over to your place for a puppy party! You can bake dog-friendly treats and even have goodie bags for people to take home. Most dogs love to run around and play with each other, so this is the perfect way to spoil the pups in your life.
Receive Premier Veterinary Care For Your Dog
At Ponderosa Veterinary Clinic, we treat your pets like family. From Pomeranians to Weimaraners, we’d be honored to help care for your four-legged family members. As one of the best veterinary clinics in Colorado Springs, it’s our mission to help educate the pet owners of the community, whether that be by sharing our dog resources or writing blogs about different animal topics. If you’re ready to experience unprecedented veterinary care and learn more about how to give your pet the best life possible, contact our team today!